On the criminal defense side of things, he defends people who are accused of crimes like assault, burglary, and DUII. He takes misdemeanor and felony cases to trial.
On the landlord-tenant side of things, he represents tenants who have bad landlords. He carefully picks-and-chooses his civil cases and represents people who have justice on their side.
Prior to forming Portland Defender, Troy practiced at the largest litigation law firm in the Pacific Northwest, defending people and organizations in a variety of cases, including wrongful death, personal injury, and intentional torts. He knows how corporate defense attorneys and insurance companies work.
When not in the courtroom, Troy can be found in his garden tending to his heirloom tomatoes. A Portland native, Troy enjoys the variety of outdoor adventures the Pacific Northwest has to offer including hiking, backpacking, and stand-up paddle boarding. Troy lives with his wife Stefanie, son Charlie, and cat Jackie in Northeast Portland.
- Oregon State Bar Association
- Multnomah Bar Association
- Multnomah Bar Association Futures Committee (Former Chair)
- Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- National Lawyers Guild
- Portland Defender PC –misdemeanor and felony criminal defense; civil litigation
- Smith, Freed & Eberhard – defense-side civil litigation, including wrongful death, construction defect, products liability, fraud, inheritance interference, business torts and auto collision
- Riverside County Public Defender – state criminal defense
- Law Offices of Gerald Singleton – federal and state criminal defense, police brutality civil litigation